Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 5: Oh, The Fallen


Eggs. It was the eggs that did it. Ok, maybe the peer pressure too. I stayed at my uncle's house last night, as I had to run several errands in the Philly area today. He took me out to breakfast this morning. At a diner. It was not a good plan.


Basically, the only things that were veganish on the menu were dry cereal (no milk), grapefruit, and I guess (dry) toast. Yummmy!


So I had a spinach omlete.


It didn't help that he was grilling me about why I would bother doing this vegan thing and why "now", "especially now when you have so many other things going on". Oy. Like when DON'T I have a million things going on?


I responded that it was about control. Getting my eating under control and seeing how this might impact my health. Several months ago I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic. The doc wanted me on meds right away. I said "no". I wanted to take three months to see if I could fix my bloodsugar with diet and exercise. Well. Those months came and went. I didn't go back for the follow-up to see how my nonexistant experiment worked because I didn't DO anything. Now I am. We'll see how it works in October when I will get my sugar checked again.


In the meantime, although I fell off the wagon at breakfast I was back on again at lunch. I had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant the Sampan Inn in Havertown, PA. They serve a fantastic mock General Tso's Chicken with brown rice. Half came home with me for lunch tomorrow.


Dinner was an apply and puff pastry thing that I noshed at a bookstore. Puff pastry, believe it or not, is (most of the time) vegan. At least the Pepperidge Farm sheets are so I'm hoping that all mass marketed puff pastryness is as well. (Perhaps I am grasping at straws here.)


Anyway, go make yourself an apple or pear dumpling with some frozen puff pastry. This doesn't even really count as a recipe, but it's close.


Cut up an apple or pear (one for each "serving") and mix with vegan sugar and spices (cinnamon and nutmeg work well, but clove and/or allspice are also good), you may want to include raisins or dried cherries or nuts as well. Defrost your puff pastry and cut each "sheet" into six "squares". You can roll out the dough a bit if you think the squares need to be bigger. Place a scant handful of the filling in the center of each square and then bring the side together around the filling to form a "purse". Transfer to a baking sheet and bake as directed for the pastry. You can also sprinkle the tops of the purses with sugar before baking for more texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment