Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day Two: Also Not So Tough


Breakfast was a bowl of Ezechiel cereal, a fresh peach and almond milk. There was a recent ruling that forbids plant based beverages from calling the beverage "milk". So no more "soy milk" or "rice milk" or "almond milk". The theory being that one cannot milk a plant. (What about Milkweed? Eh?) No matter, I shall still refer to my almond beverage as almond MILK. I'm a rebel.




Lunch was the leftover Middle Eastern food from the picnic this weekend. I had Baba Ganoush, pit bread and Kousharie. Yes, there are variable spellings for that and I don't know which one is correct so I'm just picking one. Kousharie is an Egyptian dish consisting of lentils, pasta, and rice topped with fried onions and a tomato sauce. I have it on good authority that the "real" Egyptian way to eat it is to mix some hot sauce in w/ the tomato sauce and dig in. It IS rather good that way. Sadly, I forgot to bring the hot sauce so I had it plain. It was still quite good.




Dinner will be Orange Veggie Chili with Brown Rice and a salad.




My Orange Veggie Chili is one of those what do you have on hand/what do you like dishes. I used


1/2 onion , chopped


2 cloves garlic, chopped


olive oil


1 can of whole tomatoes (I chopped them up in the can)


1 carrot, diced


1 orange pepper, diced


1 BIG handful of cilantro, chopped (I like cilantro, use it if you like, or don't)


2 T cumin


2 T hot pepper jelly


2 cans Cannelloni beans


a bit of water




Yep, just saute the onion and garlic in the oil, add the peppers and cook them for a bit, then dump all the rest in and simmer till it's hot and the veggies are cooked to the consistency that you like. Serve with rice or corn bread. Great the second or third or fourth day as well.




Spice it up with hot peppers, etc. as you like.
I'm about to have a "midnight" snack after I post this. Toasted Ezekial bread with Almond Butter and All-Fruit Jam and tea. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment